We awoke at 500am, so that we could have breakfast and be ready to leave by 6am. However, someone couldn't figure out how the safe worked and needed to get our passports. So we started off already behind.
We drove 1.5 hours, back in the land cruiser on the bumpy road, and got to see the sun rise above the valley of tea farms. It was beautiful, but it was early, and the bumpy road it was quite difficult.
Then we arrived. We were briefed and put into our groups. We then drove another half hour to the trek spot. We were asked if we wanted porters to carry out stuff, who would also help you out if you needed. We said no.
I was lulled into a sense of security. When doing research for the gear needed for the gorilla trek I watched a video with these larger girls in tanktops taking on the trek. It was a false way to look at this experience.
In retrospect, I shouldn't have gone. If we would have known what we now know, I would have opted out, even after paying the exorbitant fees.
We started down and already I was freaked. It was like 75 degrees, almost straight down. And then it went nearly straight up. The guide insisted I hire a porter. I wouldn't have gone through it without her. She couldn't have been more than 120 lbs, but she literally held my hand and pulled me through the majority of the trek. The trail went nearly straight up and straight down, (3 times each), we nearly bushwalked through vegetation and there was barely any flat areas in the total 3 mile or so trek.
It was so hard. The hardest thing I've ever had to do, physically, emotionally or mentally. I don't know how many times I cursed, got angry, gave up or cried. And to be clear this is with the porter dragging me along.
They had me go first, the slowest goes first to keep the group together. While I understand why, this put so much pressure on me. By the time we got to the gorillas, I was at first, more excited to sit down then to see the gorillas deet away from us.
But there they were. Super close to us. We had 4 gorillas laying about with us. We took pictures and more pictures. They barely moved (although one of the times they did another guy in our group moved so fast to avoid that he landed on joe and I, which is also what you are not supposed to do when a wild animal is nearby, move quickly)

No comments:
Post a Comment