We left our hotel around 10am in Nairobi and took the PAVED road up to Nyeri. We had lunch at a hotel called Outspan which is the same ownership at Treetops. (Outspan is actually older). We also checked in there.
Then we paid our park fees and entered the park. By then, the road was no longer paved.
We arrived around 3pm. Treetops is intended to be a treehouse. They have expanded greatly since the 1930s, but the idea is that they built through and around the trees. You can still see trees coming up through the 4 floor building. They also built next to a waterhole so the animals come to them.
We were given the Princess Elizabeth suite, the suite Elizabeth stayed in, when hearing that her father died, making her Queen. It has a queen size bed and a twin bed, a small sitting area with a bay window and a large desk. On peaks into other rooms the only real difference seems to be size. I started rewatching that episode in the crown to see how close they were to getting it but haven't finished.
So all rooms have windows that face out, so you can see the watering hole. The building itself is almost in the middle of it. There is a rooftop and something called blinds, which are rooms on the ground floor with holes designed so that you can see out but the animals can't really see in. It was from here that we were merely an arms reach from many of these animals.
We planned on doing a small game drive, as we had just come from 3 days of game drives in Masai Mara and the costs without paying for room and board, were already starting to add up quick. But there land cruiser was grounded so if we wanted to do anything we had to hire the driver for the day. While not super happy about it(both the price and being in a car for a whole day again) we hired a guy.
But overnight my body struggled and I wound up having regular waves of pain in my abdomen and kept having to regularly go to the bathroom. I even took the antibiotic they gave in extreme circumstances. I sent Joe on the game drive and I barely got out of bed, between the waves of pain, chills and body soreness.
He came back around 3pm, and still found me in bed. I tried to eat a little something, but that didn't go super well. After resting a bit more, I decided to take some advil and that seemed to make it so that I could at least walk upright!
Otherwise, we have been enjoying looking out the window, to see a herd of Buffalo, or elephants on parade! We have seen a family of baboons, so many bucks(water and bush), some warthogs and in the middle of the night 2 black rhinos!

1 comment:
Hope you are feeling better for good.Next stop you said is a resort. Good place to rest before returning to the US. <3
Post a Comment