Left work around 1pm, getting a much later start than I had intended. I quickly hopped in the shower. Joe was clear I should hurry up. Got to him around 230, 30 minutes behind our scheduled time. Due to the time, we chose to go to Jersey Mike's. I know, surprise, surprise. While there, I had realized thing #1 I had left. I did print out everything needed for the different pieces of the trip, except the visa. Ya know, the one that stated "print, electronic versions not accepted". Joe used to live in this area so he knew a FedEx was nearby and we got it taken care of.
We found a place to park and called the Uber. In route, I had realized thing #2 I had left. I left my malaria pills in the closet. I remembered all the other medicine, but not the one that could represent life and death. After beating myself up for a bit. I thought, since we had a long layover in LA, I could get out and find an open pharmacy. But call after call proved that plan may not work. So we worked out plans b-f. Plan b-Joe found a clinic at the airport in Entebbe. Plan c-instead of a Kaiser, who seemed to be closing down and couldn't get anything til Monday, I'd head to a CVS or the like(although still needed the RX from Kaiser which was proving harder. Plan d-clinic at the LA airport, but that was very pricey($125 just for the appointment) plan e-having a roommate ship the medicine, which was also looking pricey and not super likely it would even arrive. Joe thought since he had his(which he was very proud of) we could split it, buying us enough time to receive the shipment. And finally plan f included contacting the first few hotels we wer staying at to see possible options. The main problem with that one, according to the internet, is the reputability of pharmacies. Approximately 1/3, according to one site issue fakes.
We board the plane at SFO thinking one would work out. Luckily I got ahold of the right person at the call center at Kaiser and plan A worked. Took an uber to and from the airport(leaving job at an airport bar) and even grabbed dramamine, #3 thing I realized I forgot. Other than the costs of the uber(which vacillated drastically between getting there and back) insurance covered the rest.
Upon my return, to the airport, I got out at the international terminal, assuming that is where I should go. I was dropped at the outer rung of the cars, which you kinda shouldn't get out at, and a van pulled up right in front of us and two blond young girls and an adult Male in a hat came out. The man, right in my way, and not aware I was even standing there, did not move, preventing me from getting to the curb of safety. Irritated, I state, "um excuse me." He apologizes and moves out of the way. Next I notice a video camera man video taping his movements and then he stops for a few autographs. I find a way (probably being pretty obvious) to check out who this person is. Matt Damon in fact. I had just been a dick to Matt Damon.
I call Joe immediately to tell him what happened. He tells me that he loves me even more for it. I then realize I'm in the wrong terminal and go several terminals down to find Joe. We eat some food at the bar, where he has already had a few.
Before we know it, Joe hears his name called. Someone he knows through work is with his buddy also at the same bar. We get to chat for a few before they have to leave for their flight to Alaska.
By now its 1130pm, time for our plane to board. Joe finds a spot to lay on the ground, and promptly falls asleep(as he has been up since 6am). As per usual we are one of the last people to board the plane and we head off to our nearly 10 hour flight to Dublin.

1 comment:
Gad to see you arrived safely with a story to write about!
Post a Comment