Friday, April 6, 2018

So many layers

For the first time since this trip started we got to sleep in, which was good, because we got in around 1am(2am in Seoul time). 

We awoke to breakfast of soup dumings and meat pancakes!  So good!  Then we spent some time relaxing before the layering process began.

It was so cold. Based on my weather research, I brought three dresses for the three days in Beijing and pants/tops for colder days in Seoul. Well, it got cold everywhere, and I did not bring enough cold things. So I wore everything. All the things I had for warmth.  I think it never got above 50. And with outfits intended for 70 and higher degrees weather, this meant limited movements in my many layers. At least the polution wasnt too bad. We almost could see blue sky. Almost.

We headed to a very large indoor market. It looked like a Florida flea market. We startrd with some food. I finally got chowmein, which is not super northern chinese food, more southern, but either way yum!!!  Then we hit the market. The prices were astronomical. I was lookong at a dish set, marked 680 yuan.  Was told, "that's the price for Americans, but for you..." which so irritated me. By the time I walked away, she was trying to get me at 100(about 6 to a USD). I couldn't even.

We went in with the idea that Farrah would do all the asking, and us white people were to remain scarce.  However, I wound up getting the best bargains. apparently, if the sticker says an amount, they cant bargain more than 40% down, or they can be reported.  Beijing people know this. tourists don't. So I was able to gut a lot of cost, at one point over 75%!!  I got some scarves, a plate set, tea set and a table runner(and somehow got them all in my luggage that when I came here felt full!)! 

Then, we went to go have Peking duck, in a mall, with a skating rink. It was delicious and more expensive than we had been paying for things. When in Beijing....

We headed back around 10pm and I stayed up til past 11!  Finally got used to the timing!!

No comments: