My day began early. I was as we went to bed early, I was effectively up by 4am willing myself to sleep. I officially arose around 7am. Farrah's mom made us breakfast, with oatmeal, banana, an egg(but only for me?), ham and a neighbors homemade bread!
We left around 9am, heading to the la temple. The lama temple is the temple the dalai and other lama's( a title in tibetan buddhism) stayed in when it town. It looked like and was orirnted much like the forbidden city, just on a much smaller scale.
We next found ourselves(because Farrah took us there) in our first glimpse of a truly modern area; wangfung(I think?). It was a large pedesteian street, which jad a touristy food marlet tucked into one side. I tried an egg roll, a dumpling, a pork sandwich, a peking duck wrap, and an icecream. I actually even tried kidney(Farrah goated me, saying that Joe would be proud, but then immediately took it back) but it was awfully disgusting. David, the theme of this day, was very disappointed not to find napkins.
Back on the subway on our search for the hutongs, or narrow streets that often housed government officials and are forced to stay "old". Farrah was fairly knowledgable about them, and I got to sneak into one which, as most are situated around a courtyard. We stopped at a coffee shop within to see the layout of a different one.
Once we exited the hutongs, we were greeted by a lake and the Hoohai area, the one real place that has a bar culture in Beijing. Farrah, wanting to walk off all the food, insisted on doing a walk around the lake, and we got to see the backs of other hutongs. We finally found a place to eat once we got to the other sude of the lake and had "real mu shu pork"(no pancakes, much to Davids chagrin), spinach and garlic and Beijing style noodles, where you mix everything in your self. Again, napkins were nowhere to be found for David.
By then I was really struggling, as it was close to 8 and I'd otherwise been in bed before 8 daily and we had to wake up early to take our taxi to Seoul the next morning. David wanted to get a drink at a bar, Farrah didnt want loud music. So a compromose turned out where we walked through the scene but didnt quite settle in. After all the transit, we were home at 915 or so and I pretty much immediately went to bed.

No comments:
Post a Comment