420. 420. 420. This was the time we had to get up this morning to take a five minute boat ride to a ten minute walk to sit on camping chairs for thirty minutes to watch not as pretty birds (as yesterday) eat clay (which we saw yesterday). We had to wake up in the dark and we're back with time before our 7am breakfast.
In the morning we went back to the spot from the early morning, an island. We were immediately treated to a howler monkey earing at the claylick. Then we were treated to a family of spider monkeys coming down to get their own clay but hesitating when they saw it was already taken. Walking a small bit through we stumbled upon a school of spider monkeys with another species I can't remember. There were at least 10 running about. Several clinging to their moms!!!
We finally arrived at the pond which was our intended location. We saw turtles, bats, birds, and more or those small crocodiles(I can't remember their name and everyone went to go pack).
By then I was done. The first two days I actually did fairly well in the heat and dare I say I enjoyed it. But I had on a heat inducing tank top (which was from rei) and I was tired from getting up too early and I had no more clean and dry socks left. I swore I would go home and buy clothing that never allows me to be hot. It's half about your will and half about your tools. You need both to make it work. And I just couldn't. So after lunch I bailed on the last activity, a virtual repeat of the day before. And it wound up raining. Luckily my comrades joined me in my boycott and we had our first relaxing afternoon.
Dinner, which up until know has been decent was spectacular tonight - fresh version of lo mein, tomato soup and yucca with garlic cream. We are now awaiting a talk on the macaws.
Unfortunately due to lack of information, we booked our flight at 11am on the 29th and it takes close to 6 hours to get from here to the airport via boat and van so we are traveling half the way back to the airport and staying at the grander but not eco friendly lodge tomorrow. We also may not have a guide and may be stuck doing our own thing for the day. They have been moving non stop since the 19th, and me since the 23rd so we deserve a weekend?

No comments:
Post a Comment