Monday, December 28, 2015

Day 4-Amazon jungle

We have to be on the boat by 530amish. I can't remember exactly but it was early. We get breakfast on the boat - delicious egg filled bread bowl with bacon and a few other veggies. I wish all the breakfasts were like this one!! 
We are dropped off at the refugio amazonas around 8am and are told we can eat. But we are full. We are also told that the room isn't ready yet so we settle in on the couches. Jess and I barely move until breakfast, Nicole is a bit more active doing some yoga. During lunch we are offered a trip to a farm!  We are pschyed, thinking that worse case scenerio, since we messed up the original plan we would be stuck inside the lodge without a guide(you really aren't supposed to be in the jungle alone).  Otherwise we were thinking we'd go see some more birds and we'd seen all the birds. All of them.
So we join a family with small children and cross the river in a boat with a different guide and check out the farm. They had some regular things like chicken, papayas and bananas but also crazy other fruits that don't even have a name in English. Our favorite was sabote which was kinda a melon and was orange. So great! 
We then had Brazilian but chicken for dinner and for the first time actually had enough energy to be social! 
I am so grateful for that we were given only one option for food each day. I'm such a creature of habit if I had any option I'd go for the most western of foods. But since I had no choice I got to try so many peruvian dishes, particularly soups and sauces that I would otherwise not.
And there's always tomorrow. Where we already have lunch plans to go to a polleria!!! (Fast food style but good chicken places)

No comments: