A year ago, I was wondering around Montenegro on a day tour from Dubrovnik and a girl came up to me asking me to take a picture of her, her friend and boyfriend. The boyfriend was from Stockholm and she had recently moved there. When I told her I was coming, she offered to take me on a tour! I happily accepted!!
I started the morning with a fabulous brea2lfast from the hotel. Then, I found myself doing laundry at a laundromat, because, underwear. I also finally cracked open the first book I need to read for my grad program.
Pheobe met me at my hotel around 11 and we were off to drottingham palace. We took a walk around the gardens. Then we had lunch at a fast food joint similar to McD's, but you order through a screen!!
We then walked around old town, called gamla stan, which reminded me of little Spanish towns like Toledo. Unlike the other three countries that I've already been to, every tourist shop here seems a little different from each other and from the rest of scandanavia.
We then took a ferry(glad I got an unlimited transit pass!!)to one of the many islands that make up Stockholm and she brought me to the vasa museum. The vasa was a ship that was made in the 1600s but never made it past the harbor. It was too tall and not heavy enough. It sank. Despite immediate efforts to save or salvage, it was left virtually untouched until the 1950s. By digging tunnels in the sand under the boat, they were able to bring the boat up to the surface and then using an instrument, who's name escapes me presently, that drains the water so they could bring it fully out! The ship in all its glory is now housed in a large building and is a treasure trove to historians and archaeologists, in getting an idea about life in Stockholm in the 1600s.
25000 steps later, I was exhausted and headed back to the hotel to rest, watch some new girl(also advertised as shoes to watch here are Dr. Quinn and MacGyver, the original), plan out the next few days, grab a kebab and get ready for a journey to sigtuna tomorrow!

No comments:
Post a Comment