I know Google, as of late has gotten itself into some shit(internal memo, justifying gender differences in technology), but they make some good products. One, that has continued to be of use to me all trip.
But first, I went to a museum, in a castle, and it scared the crap out of me. I mean, I should have known when it cost 50sek(about $7), whereas every other museum or attraction has been well over 100sek. The museum, was a former castle from the 12th century, that housed different exhibitions. Most of them were temporary. Like there was one in textiles for instance. And then they had a permanent exhibit about the castle and it's role in the Danish/Swedish conflicts(and it also housed refugees in world war 2).
Part of it however, was going over the practices in the dungeons. There was a sign that said, young children should not enter. They should have also said that you should not enter alone. Omg. The noises in there, plus the relative darkness was terrifying. I couldn't handle it. My anxiety went crazy. Room after room, I couldn't find a way out. I was so frazzled, that later, in the natural history museum section, when there were stuffed large animals in exhibit boxes I about freaked. I was in around 10am and done by like 1115am.
On my walk back to my hotel and I saw lots of people talking towards a main square wearing bright colors and rainbows. All over the countries we have been in i have seen an excessive amount of celebratory rainbows. I had assumed it was a vestage from pride, but apparently it hadn't started yet!! I stumbled upon the pride parade in malmo!!
I struggled whether or not to stay and watch or go to the viking museum. I had planned my last few days in sweden, in malmo due to this open air museum(and a bath house, which I came to find out was a clothing optional ocean bath house and only one of those things I had a problem with). But I stayed long enough to get the idea, rationalizing that I had already seen one parade this year and off I went to the bus.
Walking to the museum, was not an easy feat, more because it was not clear, then anything. This is where Google comes in. Every time I go somewhere I prepaid the directions onto my phone. And then somehow, even though data is off and airplane mode is on, the blue dot still moves. The blue dot moving us what got me to the museum and got us several other places during the trip!! Thanks Google, or satalites?
The living museum, was just that, a group of people who live as Vikings would in wooden houses set up like a viking village. It's kinda like Sturbridge village or Williamsburg but it's not people's jobs it's their lives, at least for the summer.
It was an absolutely beautiful day. The contrast of the wood on the green, next to the sea was striking. The people who lived there, left something to be desired, save one. They intentionally did not out up placards, encouraging you to talk to anyone in costume. But many of them only were temporary and did not know alot. One woman and her husband however, had been part of the community for 7 years, living in the town for the winter and working on building a house for themselves on the site for the summer. Last night they slept in the silversmith workshop.
It was absolutely beautiful, but didn't take too long to work through all of it. Had dinner in the town and took the bus back. I tried having fika, or essentially high tea, with a chocolate cake around 730pm.

No comments:
Post a Comment