I took to the rails, and a bus to journey up to sigtuna today.
Sigtuna is called Sweden's first city as it was the chosen are of some king around the turn of the last millenia. It represented the end if the viking age and the beginning of Christianity. Which is awesome, because I went to sigtuna thinking it would be about Vikings.
Well it wasn't, but the area is know to have a high number of rune stones, so that's cool. It's a small town, on lake malaren, which is like lady bird lake in Austin, as in its not a lake. It's the body of water in between all the different islands that surround Stockholm.
Lake malaren, like the rest of sigtuna was gorgeous. And it was a nice getaway from the city. I didn't feel rushed, or ran over by so many other people.
The town itself had a museum, a pretty church, ruins of an old church(called st. Olafs church), an old town(really an old street that went a few blocks) and a book kiosk where you could borrow or leave a book. It was cute.
I walked around, saw all the sights, did some reading and got to eat Swedish meatballs! All in all a great day trip!
And then I came back, bought a new suitcase(since the handle broke on mine and I've been fortunate that Joe has been carrying it around up until now) and had a trendy sandwich thing with sweet potatoe fries for dinner. Yea, ginger curry is not as good as it sounds.

No comments:
Post a Comment