Sunday, July 30, 2017

The rails

The railroad that is.

Woke up and had a lovely breakfast at our hotel. We took advantage of the view and stayed in as opposed to going out, as you could probably tell if you saw Facebook.  Our luggage was brought down to the harbor and we got on the ship to continue the journey we stopped the day before.

The views got more and more beautiful and I got more and more comfortable being outside, which made the experience so much more enjoyable!  We then were brought to flam, a cute town who's main role is to have people go from the boat to the train. We had a layover and there happened to be a farmer's market, so we got some fish soup and some crepes.

We learned from the day before and wound up bring first on the train. Although we didn't choose a seat with an openable window, rookie mistake. The train was about an hour long and went 800 meters up in that hour. It is an attraction in itself, and it tells you what you are going to see and even had a 5 minute picture stop at a waterfall. However, I had pretty high expectations for the "one of the most beautiful train rides in the world" and don't think it measured up to expectations.

We waited an hour and then took the 5 hour train to Oslo. This train was also rather beautiful, passing lakes, waterfalls and such greenery. And all the houses are like red, yellow, brown. So pretty.

I tried reading, started to feel sick, took medicine and started reading again and got sick again. Was happy for the train to be over.

It's kinda of funny, it could have costed us less than $100 to fly from Bergen to Oslo but instead we had the privilege of paying over $200 on this 14 hour trip(if we would have done it straight) for the views.  I have to say in retrospect, I would have just done the fjord boat trip back and forth from Bergen and then flew to Oslo, saving both time and money. But then again, got to see some incredible places that I would not have thought existed.

We left the train station and within 5 minutes were in our hotel room!! 

No comments: