Saturday, June 28, 2008

The bloody weather!!

Ok, so England has a bad rep I'd say, for colonizing many different areas of the world, and I totally believed that line of reasoning, until I came to visit. Either its hot, or cold and rainy. Honestly, after only 5 days I don't blame the Brits at all, I'm ready to colonize!!

So last night, Jennie and her boyfriend Tom, took me on a "pub crawl" of sorts throughout the Cotswolds, although we didn't actually drink anywhere. Instead, we were trying to find somewhere to eat, with no luck, so we kept going from pub to pub, trying to find somewhere that served food.

This morning Jennie bailed out on going to London, which I don't really blame her for. It sounds like she has had a rough few weeks. So, I left Cheltenham Spa, and headed into London to meet up with Sam.

After finding the hostel, which was wayyyyy far out of the center or London, he decided we couldn't spend the gorgeous day(for once!!) in a museum. So we went to Covent Garden, and I ate a pasty, walked through some craft fairs, and wound up on this street of random old second hand book stores. It was awesome. It wasn't necessarily london, but it was great!!

Then we made our way to the British Museum, and realized we had less then an hour left there, and soo many things to see. So after seeing the Rosetta Stone(which he had no idea what it was!!!) and Aprhoditie(which I actually showed my students in my classroom this year), we headed out, knowing we'd come back.

Mom called for a brief few minutes, and then we headed to a bar on the Thames, where I actually found a drink I like, called Pimms', but it was £5.50 a glass, or $11, but it had fruit pieces in it!!! Then I kinda crashed, and after Sam trying to get me to go for a walk, we made our way back to the hostel.

I'm burning the candles at both ends here. I'm walking like 6-8 hours a day, and tiring myself out. While I love traveling, I think I'm making the rookie mistake of trying to do it all. I actually opted to leave London tomorrow with Sam and spend the day at his house, while he's at work.(He lives in Bath). I might head into Bristol for some shopping, but my plan is to do what I can to relax, maybe use the internet without a ticking clock, and perhaps even a movie, or some reading. I'm also having some of that reverse culture shock, where I'm craving anything Americanna. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Chris for that reason as well!

Regardless of my current mood, fun things coming up: City of Bath and roman bath's, stonehenge, Glasonbury, all on the back of a motorbike.

Thanks for all the comments friends! Very appreciated! As long as you have a google account in some way, you can leave a comment. If not you can just leave it anonymous.

No comments: