Wednesday, June 25, 2008

free tours rock my socks

I have not had access to the internet in three days. This has actually made me feel not at ease. I am now postdating my blogs, and trying to recreate them for you, as much as I can, thanks to my anal necessity of writing everything I spend and do in my little notebook.

Wednesday morning I awoke super early, took a shower, and had nothing to do. I was supposed to meet Greg and Dani by 9am, and I was fully ready by like 8am. Opps. I finally go to the bar to get some breakfast(yes, that was supposed to say that.) Which was bread, with peanut butter and butter. I sat with a couple from Southern England who was coming in for a concert. I finally meet up with Greg and Dani and a Mexican fellow named George.

Ok, I have no problem with people who can't speak English whatsoever. I mean I'm a teacher in California, aren't I? Yet, when I am on vacation trying to enjoy myself, chatting idly, I would simply prefer to speak with a native English speaker. It takes so much energy to sit there and try to concentrate to figure out exactly what the non-native is saying, that not much is actually said. Humor, is also lost in the cross cultural connection. Most of the time, it is simply not worth it. And before that you go on thinking that I'm an ass, remember I volunteered for two months in Southeast Asia helping people to learn English who were definately not native speakers, I just don't "want to be bothered"(Brithish colloquialism) with it, while I'm supposed to be on vacation.

So, we board the tube, meet our guide(who is actually in competition with the other guide we were with yesterday we learned), and are off to the life of royalty in London. Things we saw included: buckinghman Palace, stores that the royal family shops at, lots of royal guards(many of which I got pictures with), Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Picadelly circus, etc.

After the tour, we headed back to the hostel, and found a full meal £3.50, which is like $7, but real cheap here. So I got Spaghetti Carbonara, chips(french fries), and a coke. For anyone who has been with me at a restaurant, they know that I want a little bit of everything, and wish french fries came with everything. Well at this magnificent little shop, I had both pasta and fries!! Something that would not go together anywhere else but Burough high st., I suppose. I am thankful to the gods that decided on that delicious combination.

After lunch, I headed back to the hostel, picked up my stuff, and made the Tube journey back to Paddington station, to head to cheltenham spa to see my friend Jennie. Upon my arrival, I had more spaghetti, and got caught up with each other, the past 15 or so months of our lives, since we last saw each other!!

No comments: