
Well, so I spent days researching sim cards before I left to find out how they work. Sim cards are basically little chips that go in your phone that carries the number on it. Since I am going so many places I would have had to have gotten a different sim card in each location. I opted instead to get a "global" sim card, with a number from Estonia, that essentially did not have roaming. I paid almost $50 for this card. I come to find out that not only does it not really work the way I need it to, but sim cards in the UK at least are free, and you just have to pay for what prepaid money you put on it. So I've switched, and tomorrow I will have a very strongly worded phone conversation with the onesimcard people, I do believe.
I am now in Bath, with my friend Sam. He's inside watching football(soccer), while I'm out on his patio.
After sorting out the sim card business, we were ready to head back to the British Museum, when we ran into Portobello market. Sam has been throwing around the idea of going there since we met up, but neither of us hadn't the slightest idea where it was. So, after getting off at the tube stop notting hill gate, and sorting out the phone, we start to see signs for the market and continue on. The market was this cute little collection of shops, antique places and craft stalls. I of course bought a necklace with that recessed glass, for £15, which honestly isn't too bad, even in US dollars. Then we found a Lebonese restaurant, where I had probably the best lamb kebab I've ever had!!!
After having some hot chocolate, we headed to the British Museum. Knowing that we'd probably kill each other if we tried to stay together, and now that I had a workable sim card, we separated and gave ourselves two hours. I spent much of my time in the Egypt and Assyria rooms, then moved onto the enlightenment. Then I enter a room, that has this two headed blue jeweledish snake that I know I've seen before, and realized I was in the early America's room. I took soo many pictures, in theory to show my students next year(when in theory I have a working LCD projector). I then realized, that this would be a great opportunity to research artifcacts from the time periods I teach. Of course I realized this with a half an hour to go, so after taking a picture of the crystal skull(c'mon I haddd to!!), I headed to the Africa room. Unfortunately most of the artifacts were from the 1800s and 1900s, and we study west africa in the middle ages.Then, I did one of the coolest things. Instead of taking the tube, I took the double decker bus ans sat in the front on the top. Matt, the teacher who works across the hall suggested it. He suggested many things,(he lived in London for like a year? or two? I don't pay attention to detail), but the one I was most excited for was this. I was a HUUUGE fan!!! It was really cool to see things from above. It's the closest I'll ever be to a helicopter ride I'm sure.
Before slipping onto the train, Sam "allowed" me to eat some Burger King so that I could have some of home.
Like I said I'm now in Bath, as Sam is coming up of a list of things for me to do tmorrow. I was hoping to just relax tomorrow but its the only nice day of weather predicted al week, so it seems a shame to skip it.
Although I think I've decided that England was not the Utopia I thought it would be, I'm still obsessed with the accent and am trying my hardest to learn it. I can already say alot of words and letter blends pretty well, although I'm apparnetly "too posh". That's always my biggest problem. I'm too classy for my own good.
Will post pictures soon now that I'm not watching the clock on the internet!!

No comments:
Post a Comment