This may be a first. Other then times when I've stayed in one place to like take a class or teach or something, this is the first time I really miscalculated how long it would take to see and do all that I wanted to see and do in the city of dubrovnik.
Turns out minus old city and some excursions, Dubrovnik is more of a resort town and not really a city like the other places have been. And since I don't love water sports, don't like to spend large amounts of money on food and don't really drink, especially when it's hot out I kinda ran out of things to do today.
Yet inspired my a friend's research that salt water is in fact good for you (I'm still a little wary), I made it my goal to swim in the Adriatic.
But first, I needed to buy a bus ticket to Mostar. A 25 minute walk around the bay to find the bus station was not my idea of a good time. Neither was the sweating or the large line that awaited me when I finally arrived. To quench my hunger I ate an entire pizza (I forgot to eat dinner last night) and went back to get a ticket. I took public transport back, and by then it was already 1pm, siesta time!!!
By 4pm I was ready to brave the heat and I headed out to the beach. A 20 or so minute walk and I'm putting on my crocs and heading in the water. I didn't know what to do with my stuff so I set it right by the entrance to the water and nervously peered at it every minute or so. The bottom of the sea was super rocky (apparently caused by no islands breaking the waves) so I tried going to the deeper sediment. 30 seconds in and some kelp like plant surrounded my legs and I was out. Done. I read in the shade. Which was the same thing I was doing during my siesta, just a different vista.
I was ready to go back, shower and then head out for a proper meal when I saw a sushi spot on my way. With my mouth watering I headed in. It wasn't great. But also good enough to feel like I ate sushi. And by the time I took a shower and repacked by bag I could not be bothered to go out. Even though it was my intention. I mean my hair still isn't dry and I'd look ridiculous. And can't have me looking ridiculous.
I always forget as I travel alone for a period of time that I have to hate it for a day or two, even get a bit depressed or sad before I accept it and let it be. I am on the up and up and while I'm excited to see Thach in turkey and then be back home, I'm equally excited to do all I set out to do on my own and get back to me. Some people need to go to a retreat or meditate to turn inward, but I need to be alone, in a place where I'm surrounded by people to bring be back to neutral.

No comments:
Post a Comment