Minutes after I posted my last blog I see a link from someone on facebook about a military coup in turkey. Two days before my scheduled arrival. I turn on the news and see it. Live. The bombing made me nervous but didn't scare me, as it's totally random and theoretically could have happened anywhere. Military coups are not so random. And are unlikely in most places. I mean I was in Thailand during a military coup but it was so peaceful I didn't even know it was going on for a few weeks.
Checked in with my friend who I was traveling with, whose family is turkish and she seemed less affected by it. Called up United and found our I could change departure city, arrival city and date with a major fee waiver and just $41. This event was now the third sign I shouldn't go. Airport bombing, and military coup as push factors away from Turkey and ease/cheapness of change (and a last minute cancelation at a friend's wedding) as the pull factor. Trip to Turkey canceled and nearly a week in nyc!
Tried to get reimbursements for things but by then it's nearly 1am. I go to sleep.
I awake and have breakfast and then my new friend comes and joins me we had omelettes, and crepes!! She went to enjoy the city while I got my affairs in order, especially when I realized I had given myself two extra days in the city, I was in no rush to head out. After super long wait times I got verbal confirmation of full reimbursement for my international flight (sarajevo to Istanbul) and both hotels, which is the bulk of the money lost(all were considered unrefundable). I still have 2 internal flights I'm waiting to hear about.
My travel bud, Jaclyn, comes back from meandering and uses my phone to call Orbitz to get her flight canceled. She had a layover in istanbul. Since my flight was the 17th, it fell in a particular range the airline sent out. But hers was 18th and is not guaranteed.
We head out to do a walking tour. This place has an understated beauty. It also has an Arabic influence that I love, we can even hear the call to prayer. The old city is amazing. The shops are awesome. I'm glad to get a few more days here!! After the tour which gave us a lovely overview, we got some grub. We had these things that maybe are called Burek. They are kinda like blintzes and come with sour cream and I'm already sold. There are lots of varieties; spinach and potato being my favorite. Then we hit up a steakhouse and I get a delicious steak salad!! While I didn't drink we stayed out past 10! Sadly a record for me on this trip!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment