A more perfect day could not have been had!!
When we arrived at the hotel in Ubud, they told us that we would be entitled to a free mini photo session. We had already thought about it and looked into it. If we had went with the international company flytographer, it would be $250 for 30 minutes, and $350 for an hour. Airbnb also had some photographers peddling their services for about $250 an hour, give or take. So free sounded great. It even in lauded one free photo. To get more of course, we'd have to pay. I reasoned we were already going to pay, so might as well get to decide the threshold after seeing the product and not based on time!!
We inquired and the hotel person suggested we do it while having a floating breakfast. This already, was one of the things that we(I) wanted to do, so we said yes! Later on, Joe reminded me(I sware!) that since in order to do this we needed to do it before the pool was open(730am), we could bring out the unicorn, since it wouldnt bother others. The most perfect event ever was borne.
It was super silly. We dressed up in robes, walked along the infinity pool, played with the unicorn and ate breakfast all while being photographed. It was ridiculous and amazing!!
Joe's stomach was upset soon after, so I alone looked at the photos when he brought them back a few hours later. I favorited 77, enough for 8 million rupiahs($570usd). I didn't see that happening but I could also see we had some room to bargain. I basically told him I wasn't going to go over half that and we were able to work within that space. It was still ridiculous, but wayyyyy cheaper and not nearly as fun as something that would have happened at home. We got photographed in the pool in ubud, wearing a floating breakfast atop a unicorn. Once in a lifetime!
We then packed up and headed towards Sanur. I had to get cash, get deodarent and get a snack. The first was easily achieved. The second, happened with the icky sticky kind and the third I should not have done; a chocolate bar and chocolate oreo type cookies. Joe and I devoured it. I've had heartburn ever since.
We made a stop at the waterfall we weren't able to make work a few days prior. It was so nice, cement stairs to walk down, not too many and then the waterfall was easy access. There were lots of people but we lucked out that where we were positioned we were more alone than not!
We arrived in Sanur and Joe got his first real taste of a resort. I kinda thought our last hotel should have been more resort like, but I forget that words like "suites", "villas" and "resorts" have very specific meanings. I use the pan-all hotel which has led to some disappointment.
We got the length of the resort; from our room to the beach and then grabbed some food at the bar. They have three different restaurants but you can order food from all at all places. We got western food(pulled pork and spicy chicken sandwiches) and had to wait a long time for everything(the food beat out the drinks).
After we took a walk and before we knew it we took a tour of sanur, both along the beach and along the shopping street! It's MUCH quieter than ubud or Canguu which is very welcome, but like Lovina the locals who sell goods or services are much more vocal and intense.
We tried to get a manicure(and Joe got a pedicure). The lady, in an effort to upsell me to a gel manicure(which I tried different levels of refusal) chose to tell me(after manh many attempts) that regular nailpolosh will make my nails yellow. She also massively overcharged for the gel removal(nearly the cost of the manicure itself). The language barrier was tough and the other women were trying to tell me that there was no issue with the yellow but the lady I had was resolute and I decided to cancel the manicure all together. I paid to remove the gel and that was that.
I struggle with upselling and pressuring to buy. I don't know why but I'm truly triggered by it. For instance, when a cashier follows you around in the store pointing out things you may want to buy. I get it it, and also it makes me feel suffocated, like I can't be trusted to make a decision on my own. I want to be in control. But for someone to act like that, either it's cultural or they have no other choice. And I struggle with responsible tourism. I refused the sale, with the manicure, partly because I was uncomfortable with this women touching my body when I couldn't trust what was coming out of her mouth. But also, I believe that by doing that, I send a message that, this behavior, upselling at whatever cost, does not yield results and hopefully they will change their practice. That is my ultimate goal. I want people to make a living but if they do it in ways that are dishonest or get by on pity, as many do, it's a short term gain and a long term loss. I think this and also wonder if I'm just entitled. They see the amount of resources we garner and cannot understand why they cannot garner that amount. It is simply not fair. I am triggered by the practice and yet I get it. I just wish there was a way I could teach a man to fish instead of give them something small.
We ended the evening chilling outdoors for a bit listening to a live cover band and then eating a cake they had prepared for us for our honeymoon.
Sunday, July 28, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment