Jogya, as the locals call it, just does not seem like a walking city. None I'd the areas we were on Malaysia seemed to have solid sidewalks, but there was still people everywhere. Here, we were one of the only walkers.
We came to this city for these two temples; one Hindu and one Buddhist(largest in the world). They both have these iconic stupas. Either you can visit for sunset. We had known that this was the plan but we hadn't actually booked it yet. Travel has changed in the last few years since I've done multi city travel. You used to be a le to show up to a city, find the local square, compare some prices at local tour agencies and book! Now everything is online. It is much harder to determine what's what online. Prices seem to vary massively, you constantly question if it's a scam or if it's safe. For a minute, trip advisor had been good at sussing it out, but now that it seems to be marketing more of it's own product I dont quite know where that leaves us.
Before I know it, I'm clicking on something that seems highly rated. Theres a chat box that connects to WhatsApp. I have a quote, confer with Joe and book. We did similar with the Cameron Highlands tour. We agonized for quite a while and yet the actual decision was quick and almost rash. This tour included both temples and a lava tour in between. And pickup was at 330am.
We therefore wanted to have a chill day today. Also, we have been pushing it every day; exploring and touring. We had it planned so well, except we forgot about rest. I haven't even opened one of the two books I brought with me. Didn't have time(or great wifi) to go through all the pictures of the wedding and even of our trip. I knew I had to post daily to show sign of life but we were tired. So we made two goals; the palace of yogyakarta and Taman Sari, a water castle.
We walked the streets. They were slippery and desolate. People were physically on the street, manning a cart or working on a car but none seemed to be moving. And crossing the street was a cunning adventure. But we made it. Actually the second part of the journey wasn't all that bad! Google maps put us on paths that were really only wide enough for motorbikes so it was much more pleasant.
The palace was underwhelming, at least in comparison to other palaces. The entrance was less than $2usd for the both of us. We refused the guide. We saw some buildings, and a small museum. It seemed sparse overall. It is still used by the Sultan and his family. And in the pictures, it seems he is the first to be featured with a women. Former sultans, having 41 or 78 children, had multiple wives.
As we were leaving, a guy struck up a conversation with us. I never talk to people who immediately ask where you are from and then try to direct you somewhere. I learned my lesson in Marrakesh. But for some reason we followed him. We were in public and he said it was on the way to his prayers. He brought is to a Batik school. Batik is the fabric Javanese are known from. The process was complicated but involved dying and wax. Before we know it, we are buying a Batik artwork! It could come with a frame but we had the fabric folded for easier carrying. We even bought work directly from the artist. I'm often wary of this stuff. My ignorance of processes and my lack of interest in detail could mean that I am.not getting what I think I'm getting. In this case however, it seemed fairly legit.
We asked for a rec for lunch and found ourselves at an overpriced buffet, around the corner from where google says it was. It did all seem local though so that was good! I even had a honey do juice! (Joe, for a surprise turn of events, had a beer.)
We then, although barely(the final road was so thin it was not, not dangerous) made it to Taman Sari. Again, barely. The attraction closed at 3pm and that was the time on the dot. But they let us in. We were welcomed to a beautiful spot, two bathing pools, in an old stone structure and so so so many humans. We found rooms to pop into, ladders to climb and found ourselves in an ancillary pool that hardly anyone was at! We got to enjoy(and take out pictures) in peace! We moved our way out, looking for a few spots I had heard of here, like the mausoleum but were told only guides could take you there. Almost back out to get a grab, we saw continued stone structures interspersed between what seemed like a residential area. We turned back in and were greet with the ruins if the former baths, almost entirely still in tact!
But we had had it. We were tired(me much more than him). We got a grab and were back at our hotel, ready to dip into the pool. The water was icy cold(the hotel is situated in a greenhouse like structure so the pool is both open air but indoors) but Joe jumped right in! I took a bit longer to get in. We never warmed to it and got out pretty quickly. The stairs creaked as I got out, so Joe thought he'd get out over the side. Somehow he slipped and slammed his shin. The skin broke, blood everywhere.
Later on that night, he decided to ice his leg and we decided instead of going out(3am would come to soon, super busy, no rest, bloody shin) we ordered room service and watched a movie on Netflix.
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment