As I've mentioned, the main reason we went out to Penang was for food. Left to my own devices, food is not really a driver of mine but I know Joe likes it. I however was most excited about the Jetty's.
We started our day at the hotel breakfast. Joe is a breakfast guy and cannot fathom having his first meal without toast, eggs or other traditional western breakfast food. I however have little qualms with having "other foods" for breakfast. So I impressed myself and Joe by not only having non breakfast food, but ate something that would not immediately interest me "glutonous rice with curry chicken". It was rather delicious! The breakfast was situated next to the pool a d was a lively surrounding.
We went by foot to the the Jetty's. It looked like more or less we followed the main road til we got to the water. While Malaysia is pretty much a first world country in many ways, there is a major thing holding them back; sidewalks!!!! To walk more than a few blocks in any major city in Malaysia is to some extent to take your life in your hands and be super conscious about everything whizzing by!
We found the Jetty's. While most of Malaysia is a pretty solid combination of many cultures; the largest being Indian and Chinese, in Penang, the Chinese much outnumber any other. A jetty is simply a pier that has been built out to house a community. Each Jetty is managed by a different major chinese family that immigrated over. The chew jetty seemed to be the most built up for tourism with shops and activities lining the pier. We also snuck onto the tan jetty to get a better idea of the local scene.
We then found a food court to eat at and got to try some new foods!!
We were so hot and so spent from all the walking and being close to the cars that we went back to the hotel to cool off. And we brought out the unicorn to add a little more fun into our lives! Definitely awkward in the size pool we were in but there was only one other group using it!
And then we met up with my friend James. I met him at my friend Aileen's wedding. I helped organize her wedding day of and he was my second. He then spent the next week at my house. So did Aileen, I always joke that they spent their honeymoon there. Therefore if we spent their honeymoon with them, I saw no reason James couldn't spend a day with us! He had hit me up the week prior in Singapore. He currently lives in Saigon and asked us where we'd be next weekend and booked the flight. Joe was not so keen on the idea at first. I forgot to mention that James is interested in men. That changed things quite a bit. Plus, we are kinda seeing the first two weeks of our trip as our normal annual summer travels and when we enter Bali our honeymoon truly begins!
He met us up at an Indian restaurant he got a rec for. It even had air conditioning on the second floor!! We then hit up a bar nearby our hotel! It had an older lady proprietor who told us that it had been in the family for 75 or so years. We signed a book capturing our experience and we headed off to our respective hotels.
Monday, July 15, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment