Sunday, July 14, 2019

To Penang

Penang; Georgetown in particular is known for its food scene. We set out to find out what that was all about.

I've been freaking out for days now that our luggage us too heavy and too big. And I was worried that if we waited til we got to the airport we'd be paying a ridiculous amount of money in extra fees. I tried to figure it online and could not(I found out later it was due to the fact that I was using a Mastercard and not the process entirely). Either way. It was a close call. This was our first inter flight(everything else had been bus) and I was nervous. I didnt even buy any items in fear that it would be more expensive to cart them around the whole trip. I figured after wr landed in Penang, we'd know how to do.

We left the hotel, early, or so we thought. The airport was over an hour away. Even though I had figured out how to do the luggage, my anxiety wouldnt be quelled until we were through!

We got to the airport about 2 hours early(however most Asian airports actually reccommend 1 hour for domestic).  We went through security. I was thinking we should have eaten at the food court outside. Joe was convinced there would be food inside. There was a chicken style McDonald's. That was it. So that we ate.

Our flight was 45 minutes. We landed and had no idea how to get to our hotel. We found a taxi stand, and without even knowing our destination asked for 44 ringet.  We were to find out later, that if we had used the Asian version of uber, we could have paid half that: 21 ringet(4.1 ringet for each $1).

Our hotel was so cute!  It was situated in a garden, with a long but thing plunge pool upstairs.  The people working there were very nice and accommodating. And we couldn't feel springs in the bed!  Super score!!

We ventured out to taste this food scene. The front desk lady suggested we walk double as far to get what locals prefer. It was also raining, but that didnt seem to stop the food stalls from being on the street. We ordered food from a few different spots in this corner food court of sorts, with a bunch of carts. We started with chicken and wild boar satay from one cart.  We thought it would be an appetizer but it took longer than the other food. We then took a seat and people came over offering us food and drink. We got beer, coke, fried spring rolls and laksa(a fish noodle soup).  I also got some friend noodles(mee goreng).

I think the jetlag or whatever has been afflicting me, putting me to bed by 845 has finally ebbed!  After the street foods we got crepe/pancake things and then WENT TO A BAR. We played cards and didn't watch the cricket game on, but I made it til 11pm!!  We even tried some shisha!


No comments: