Friday, July 11, 2008

The affair is over!!

My love affair with London is OVER. Although, now that it is over, I think I can appreciate it for what it was and not what I thought it would be.

Jade and I left for London and didn't arrive until nearly 1pm. Jade's friend wasn't going to be around for a while so we decided to go to the imperial war museum to see the holocaust exhibit. We also saw the injustice of man, or something like that. It was very very powerful. I brought my bag in with me thinking that there would be places to put it and there was.

Then, instead of going back to her friend's to drop off my stuff, I figured that we should do as much of London while it was before 6pm and headed to Tower of London. Tower of London, was the place that many people were imprisoned and executed(Elizabeth and Anne Boleyn respectively, for example). It is also where the crown jewels are kept, amoung other things. Well, it was £4(nearly $10) more then I thought it was, and was £16.50, and had no place to hold my huge hiking bag and insisted I wear it on my bag. Then, my bag had to be checked when I walked in as well. So after I'm pissed that I had to pay more, and pissed that I had to carry my bag the whole way through, I then had to unpack my bag. Obviously I was not a happy person, and had a "are you kidding me" look on my face. The inspector saw this, as I must be hiding something, and made me empty my entire packed bag. These three things made me completely not enjoy the tower. Plus, for its price, and the emmensity of its history, it really didn't have much there. I walked away underwhelmed.

We reached Sophie's after 8pm, with a bottle of wine and some chocolate. After little convincing(Sophie had an interview the next morning and was already hung over from the night before), we wound up at a pub called wetherspoons, and then a club called Boogie. Everyone was very friendly, and I was a mini celebrity, since I had an American accent. While American's aren't exactly foriegners, backpackers and other travelers would not come into Epsom, where we were staying. I made friends with a few English boys and a guy from South Africa. After nearly an hour of giving me "dance lessons", I wound up spraining my ankle.

SO me and London are through. Out of all the cities I've been to so far(with the exception of Cardiff, Wales) it is my least favorite. I think my expectations were entirely too high, and now that I have stopped this love affair with London, I may actually be able to enjoy it the way its intended.

No comments: