Saturday, July 26, 2008

Vienna

So the second third of my journey has come to an end. My first third, was history and palaces in the UK, the second third was dubbed alone on the continent, and the third third, is FUN IN THE SUN with the roomie.

Without the free tours, that I have been so depending on, or an in house tour guide(Sandra had to work), I felt very unfulfilled touring Vienna. I dont know what Im looking for, I dont know where to go, and I didnt know what to do. I went to a coffee shop, I saw some old buildings, and even a palace, but I dont feel like I got the experience like I did in the other cities. I also realizes how alone I was wandering the streets, with no direction and no guidance. While I do enjoy being alone, I realize I do not like being alone for too long, and probably will not make a trip alone like this again(your welcome mom). I mean I enjoyed it and Im glad I did it, but I spent so much of the trip so far stressed out, sick, and a little lonely, that wasnt what the trip was supposed to be about. I found I can survive alone, but its only survival. The next time I travel, I will hopefully either go with a group, or go with a friend. Then of course, I will imagine how great it will be to travel alone, right?

So yesterday Sandra took me out with her friends for a night out on the town. First we went to get icecream, then a sit down bar, where we all sat outside and drank. They all drank spritzers, which is basically wine with seltzer water, which are cheap but gross. I decided to go for the cocktails, which made my bill three times that of theirs. I still wasnt drunk when we headed to the next place, and I needed to be. It was called the Arena. It had a carnival like atmoshpere, but like in a warped universe sorta way. Like there was grafitti everywhere, and the building looked like it needed lots of maintenance. Once you get past the entrance, there are several run down clubs you can go into, either hard rock, rock or hip hop. Then, there was a whole outdoor courtyard and stage where there were different booths of food. I even ate a hotdog with mustard, so I might not be a guyim, even though my mom says I am. There are strobe lights in the air, and beer on the ground. I kept being afraid that my toes would get stepped on. It was quite an experience, but was glad that Sandra saw that I was not enjoying myself, and we left after about 2 hours. It was definately one of those experiences that can only occur in Europe, but also need to occur drunk. Unfortunately though, I was not, as Im still recovering from being sick.

So after lounging around Vienna today, Im heading on another night train to VENICE TO SEE ROOMIE!!! AHHH CAN'T WAIT!!!

No comments: