Sunday, July 6, 2008

Why so early?

Like many cities in the rest of the western world, everything in Dublin closes by 6pm. I, however, cannot get myself up earlier then 10am. This presents a problem, as I can't really see anything.

So after eating breakfast(m&m pancakes), and bidding adieu to Chris(for he had to do work, but promised to meet up with me), I head to the bus stop around noon, which means I won't be in Dublin til about quarter of. I decide I am doing museums today. The weather seemed crappy, and I do love my museums.

So I try to get there early enough to see the national library, but it closed at 1pm. Instead I go to the National gallery. I see some Irish paintings, some early renaissance paintings, and a ton of portraits. After nearly an hour of this, I need a break. I stop by a shop and spend like 7 euro(about $12) on a ham sandwich and hot chocolate. Ridiculous. Then I call Chris, who is heading into town. We decide to meet outside the National history museum at its closing time, giving us ample time to explore the museum however we want. I read all about paleolithic Irish man, the bog discoveries, and the Irish gold. Its 4:30pm, and I'm just finishing with Viking Ireland, when the security guards tell us they are closing shop. So I finish Viking's and race through Medieval Ireland. I miss Egypt and Rome :(.

Chris and I finally meet up. It's raining outside, and we have left but one option open after 5; guinness. We head to the storehouse, go in for the tour, talk to this kid who knows probably everything, then head around the "museum". It was awesome. Chris and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Although, everything was closing, as we were one of the last groups allowed in, so the waterfall, for example, in the four ingredients room turned off as I was photographing it. Boo. Overall though it was a really good time.

Walking back to the bus stop in the rain, we decide to stop for Chinese which was not too good. Then we head back. We try to watch a movie, but both fall asleep during it(which was funny because it was called waking life).

Today, Chris decides he isn't working(which he has the liberty to do, he has to write travel guides and as long as he meets certain quotas can do them as he pleases), and how it is such a sacrifice for me. We head out to Swords, which is the town he lives in, about 20 minutes or so from Dublin. Thinking it would only be a few minutes, as the weather predicted heavy rain, I ran out in my PJs. Well, we wind up finding Swords castle, a nature preserve, and the mall. We head back to his house by like 4pm, and sit outside with a couple Guinness's til 7pmish, and not a single drop has fallen from the sky.

The craziest thing about this area, is like, for example, right now its 8:30pm and looks about 4pm ish. Since the latitude is so much higher up here, it stays sunnier longer.

I am finished with Ireland as of this point, and am heading tomorrow to Edinburgh, for a two night stay in Scotland's capital, before heading to Kent to see Jade and the Boleyn Castle!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i just got back from camping so i have a lot to catch up on.. but some advice- try not to think about how much the euro translates into for american dollars. it will drive you insane the entire trip. $7 is a good price for lunch, even though thats not really what it was to you, but i drove myself crazy in italy with that.

FUM said...

Correction for "About Me". Not sure where you thought you were but I was on Long Island when I gave birth to both you & 3 years later your brother! So, you were not "BORN & raised in upstate NY", just raised & schooled!
Have a good trip to Scotland. Let me know when you've arrived please. Miss you. FUM