So I, Prudence Prude McPrudy, just spent the last 6 hours or so naked with several other women. No, I was not participating in any sexual deviance, or other forms of debatury, but to relax. So you think Prudence...who could also go by the name Ms. running at 100 miles an hour at all times....you don't know how to relax, nor are you ok with being naked or with other people being naked, so what gives?
I left Berlin this morning around 9am, and took the 6 hour train journey to Utrect, Netherlands, about 15 minutes from Amsterdamn. My friend Anne-Ruth lives here, and is leaving tomorrow, but allowed me to stay the night tonight, so we could catch up and I could see her city. Anne-Ruth like most of the others I'm visiting, I met while in Thailand! She had to work at a sauna though, and invited me along. I hesitatingly went.
After a 20 minute bike ride, I arrive, and she tells me to remove my clothes and put on a robe. She then shows me the layout of the place. Essentially there are two saunas, a steamroom, two cold baths(one that starts inside and goes outside), one whirlpool, a swimming pool, a relaxing greenhouse looking building, chairs outside to relax in, and a cafe with beds for resting. As we are touring, I see women of all shapes in sizes, (mainly because they were all naked, so I couldn't not see all their shapes and sizes) walking around seemily free, and at ease. I had 6 hours to spend in this place. For most normal people this would have been heaven. Of course, Prudence ms. always busy, had no idea what to do with myself. I honestly stressed out over having to relax for six hours. Yet within an hour, I was sitting around naked, or standing around in the shower speaking as best I could with Dutch women of all ages. It was kinda funny, because last time I was with anneruth, in Thailand, we were sharing a room for a week at this summer camp. It was sooo hot that me, her and my other two friends sandra and anke(who i'm seeing later this week!!) wound up hanging out every night in our underwear, just to try to counteract the heat and humidity as much as possible. So I joked around to anneruth that everytime I see her, I am more and more naked.
Its funny because after leaving the Bath's in Bath, I thought the Romans really had it right! They really knew how to relax!! Just by simply hanging out in Bath's at night, could possibly stop so many wars and violence. Then I realized that the Roman empire was the biggest in Europe not due to their relaxation, but their conquest, so scratch that idea. Either way though, it makes alot of sense to have places like this. As far as I know, we don't have things like this everywhere. There were three other such saunas just in this city alone.
It was quite an interesting experience. Now, that I am officially liberated from the bondage of Puritanical thought, I'm thinking my next trip might take me to a nudist colony. Just kidding.
So as I sit here back at anneruth's house, overlooking a canal as I write this, I'd say today was definately a favorite of mine! A train ride, seeing an old friend, and relaxing, yet all in the name of new experiences. I'll take more new experiences like this!!!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your story gives new meaning to the phrase "I have nothing to wear!"
Love,
Aunt Marcy
Post a Comment