6am this morning, I awake to a sliver of light coming out of the window in the overnight train I was on. I peek outside, and see one of the most magnificent scenes I have ever seen. For nearly twenty minutes, there are rolling hills, practically singing. I kid you not. The hills were alive with the sound of music.
Minus sleeping while still being sick, I really did have a great time on the night train. I wound up in a little booth, with an Austrian girl and two Turkish guys. Essentially on the night train they put you in a "cochette", which basically is like a bench. Then they give you a pillow and blanket and after a certain time the lights to out and you go to sleep. An older gentleman joined us in Frankfurt, and we were asleep by 1130pm. I was very upset that I was sick and was unable to do the rhine river cruise from Cologne, where you can see castles and old buildings at every twist and turn of the river, yet luckily the train followed a similar path and I was able to see alot of what I missed. Then in the morning seeing the hills of Salzburg. Oh man it was amazing. If only I would have had a good night sleep!
Sandra picked me up at the station, brought me back to her apt, and went off to work, I relaxed for a few hours and then tried a very hard task....to explore the city. Found the shopping district, and after an hour of looking for decent food, settled on a Chinese buffet. I know I know, I am horrible! Then explored a cathedral, went to a traditional viennese coffee house and headed to the natural history museum.
I am having this constant struggle(honestly, when arent I struggling over something). Part of me is trying to push myself to see as much as possible, because honestly when will I be back? The other part of me though, is then saying, especially seeing how little it took to get me sick, that maybe I should relax. This trip, is starting to be more stressful then my job, and that is ridiculous! Without an organized tour, or tour guide, Im lost and feel useless as I try to navigate my way around the city. Yes, I see all these buildings and stuff, but what do they mean? Im sure once I head to Italy, and definately with an organized tour in Greece Ill do much better, but for now, as usual, Im beating myself up. Damned if I do too much, damned if I dont do enough.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You know what they say about German Chinese food, don't you? Two hours later, you're hungry for power.
Wandering editor has got to be Seth, right? The comment is so his sence of humor.
Try to enjoy & relax, this is surposed to be a vacation, not a marathion!
Stop to smell the roses & listen to the hills sing!
Miss you, feel better.
XXooo, FUM
Post a Comment