Friday, July 3, 2015

"How are you," he asks. "Hot," I respond. "It's normal," he says.

Last full day in marrakesh. Made it to the flower garden by taking a taxi out into the new city. Even bought a few small things as it was the only place I walked into since arriving where people weren't all over me.  I probably paid a little more but was still very reasonable. Had some lunch and attempted to go to the musee de marrakesh. 2 hours later I return having not seen the museum.

There are barely any signs here.  It's hot as hell. And you can't ask anyone for directions or else they will charge you. And even then you do not know if they are accurate. I probably asked 10 people they all kept pointing, especially when I refused to have them walk me there and still I didn't find it. Finally I found some tourists and has given up at that point on the museum and asked for the square and I reached my destination. I wish my maps had a blinking blue dot.  Traveling would be so much easier.

It's hard, alone and unaware. I'm a single woman so already that isn't good, plus my light skin automatically triggers that I am a tourist. I'm a walking money sign who they can pray on for my woman ness. Taxis try to charge four times the amount I know it to be.  Even when I settle on an amount higher than I've been told by the hotel, they still grumble. Some of the "tour guides"(read: guys who give you a tip like keep to the right, then ask where you are from and start pointing things out to you until you are on a tour) get mad when you don't take "the tour".   Its hard to know who you can trust.  One guy,  a younger one even used vulgar angry words. You can only take so much. In the words of the American I met a few days ago, each day your fuse gets smaller and smaller.

So I'm back at the hotel, planning on a swim and unlikely to leave the hotel again until tomorrow when I leave on my tour. I have been fortunate to have access to air con and WiFi. It has made the transition much more bearable but I will be unlikely to continue the frequency after tomorrow.

No comments: