Very few places live up to the hype. To my expectations or the expectations others put on it. But england shines through. Everytime. I love it. The accents. The inflections. The self deprecating sense of humor. The castles. The gardens. The history. I could do without the colonialism and imperialism though.
Jade, a friend I made whilst in Vietnam teaching English picked me up (technically her husband did as she doesn't drive). We immediately picked up where we left off 7 years prior.
We went off to hever castle where jade and made a public trans and walking trek seven years prior. I rarely return to the same country or city I've been to and have only twoce (the restaurant and hotel I spent a month in Siena italy and Lago atitlan in guatemala) returned to a place I've been too. But this place is worth it. It's beautiful and old. The gardens are fantastic. And Anne Boleyn lived there!!
We happened to be there on medieval weekend which included a joust. Otherwise we just walked and joked around. It was so refreshing to be with people who totally get and dish back my sense of humor!!!
We finished a bit after 5 and went to the pub right outside the castle. It was amazing.
Rarely do I look forward to something and have it meet or exceed my expectations. But thanks to jade, her hubby and hever castle I had an absolutely fabulous day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment