Friday, July 17, 2015

German doctor

I had an accident and visited the hospital in morocco where they spoke french and arabic. I went to spanish pharmacies(and was helped by an Argentinian doctor on vacation).  I have now been to a German doctor.

I left barcelona this morning around 5 am. A couple going to the airport at the same time as me asked me to join them in their cab. I reluctantly agreed as they are always more expensive than expected. And I had a plan. I was going to take public transport. But I went for it.

I got in the cab. "Cual terminal?"  I answered uno before I even fully interpreted what he said. FINALLY I thought in Spanish. The hour I leave.

I had the perfect flight. I fell asleep during the safety presentation and woke up as the announcement was celebrating our final descent. I did have an aisle seat with my "bad side" towards the aisle so I may have been the weird American who had a scarf wrapped over her elbow (to prevent something getting caught on my stitches) and the rest of it balled up between my thigh and the arm rest.

Sydney picked me up and after a delicious, homeade lunch she dropped me off at the doctor. They were about 20 minutes behind which I was surprised. I thought Germans would be on time. But alas that's the Swiss.

I went into the room and the doctor sat behind a desk to assess my damages before leading me into a lab (which had a door labeled labor).  She sprayed me with anesthetic(I did not receive any when I got the stitch initially) and removed my stitch. Apparently I only had one. Then she saw my thigh, which has gotten worse and is opening back up. She did not seem to disturbed by it. She put on this cloth netting that had medicine on it and then a bandage. Finally she gave me a cream for the hematoma. Oh I learned a new word today; hematoma. It's not as scary as it sounds. It's a black and blue mark. Erroneously(according to wikepedia) referred to as a bruise.  Left the office paying about €40.  Without insurance that's not terrible.

We went to the pharmacy with the medicines she prescribed. There were three: the medicine with the netting that goes under the bandage, the bandage and the hematoma cream. It took her a while to figure out the netting one (I have no idea what it would be in English, Sydney called it second skin).  She quotes us over €100.  But since she doesn't have the netting one she tells us the other 2 are around €60.  I tell Sydney I have bandages and ask just to get the cream. All of a sudden I only owe €15. And I thought the €8 bandages in spain were expensive.

The doctor told me I shouldn't shower for a day or two but as the shower sucks in barcelona I could only take body showers there. I ask Sydney rather uncomfortably if she wouldn't mind washing my hair. She says of course but then suggests we get hair cuts. So here we are!!

No comments: