Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Trying to change the practice. One refusal at a time.

I'm well aware this could be considered a first world problem as I am someone from the a first world country coming into a country that isn't. However, the feeling I got was real and I so wish people didn't have to experience it.

I was leaving my hotel and a couple of men who seemed very religious (perhaps monks but I don't think there are Muslim monks?) were asking me for money. Another man dressed in regular clothes passed by as I was in discomfort and asked me where I was going. I didn't answer as anything on the Internet says that men will seem nice and take you around but then demand a tip.  He said that he worked at my hotel and just changed and he named the guy I most trust at the hotel (a guy named Mohamad).  I told him I was headed to the palace. He showed me a way to go that seemed different than the way Mohamad showed me.  I figured he'd just take me there.

Next thing I know I'm in a Berber museum right near the palace (which I did plan on going to after).  He had me pay and then came in with me.  I told him I was ok and he said I wasn't allowed to go in alone. That seemed silly but other tourist groups had a Moroccan guiding them. So I quizzed him more on my hotel, feigning ignorance about people's names. He seemed to know and said he even made my breakfast.  So we continued but I made sure to keep several feet distance from him and did not ask many questions so I would feel better in case he asked for money at the end.

He kept telling me about the people in the souk and that all of it is fake. He told me that things are closing for a few days because of Ramadan and kept telling me I should take a taxi to the women's cooperative to get nicer stuff. I told him I want to go to the palace and I can do it on my own. He kept telling me he was a nice man and that I should thank him. He showed me his wife and told me he was married and that I shouldn't worry. Of course that's when I started to worry. He took me to another hotel to see the Jewish cemetery and synagogue. He said there was a good view on the roof. When their was not any real view except the tops of things I became more suspicious he wasn't who he said he was. He kept telling me he would "go goodbye" after the palace (which he later claims was closed).  He also kept taking me on side streets. Finally he told me we were going to take a taxi to the women's cooperative to get real products. I finally said "I don't want to go there I want to go to the palace and I can go alone."  He said he would take me there and then I could give him a tip. I told him I would not give him a tip I didn't ask him to help me.  He said how about 20 dirham ($2).  I said no. I didn't ask you to help me.  He said "but look at all I  showed you, how about 10 dirham."  I said no I just want to go alone and finally walked away. Of course he had taken me on side streets so I didn't know where I was and didn't know who to trust until finally I found a mother daughter tourist duo and went with them til we found the main square and I knew how to get back from there.

I felt bad that I didn't tip him. But I didn't ask for it. I kept telling him I was ok and he kept telling me he would take me where I want to go after. That he's helping me.  That hes a nice man. No money. I normally would not have fell for this except he said he knew people at the hotel. And kept lulling me in by saying "just one more thing".  It's very kiniving and if he wanted something more than money it would have been scary.  But even though he went with me I still knew how to protect myself, keeping my distance and making sure other people were clpse by.  So I didn't pay him. He didn't ask me to provide a service and I didn't want the service. I wanted to go on my own. The lady and her daughter that wound up helping me after said that if enough people do what I did perhaps they would have to find a new practice.  But most people feel guilty and pay even though they didn't agree to it. 

They are shooting themselves in the foot. If they want tourism they should not make people feel unsafe. As I finally found the square I saw that very few people approached me. It's only people like my fake tour guide that perpetuate the fear and make it seem scary (he told me to put my wallet away, not to be alone, not to trust markets etc).  They pray on people's insecurities just for a few bucks. One man followed me in the main square when I asked how much for asked hat(he had several in his hand) after a minute of him following me I screamed no at him. He mocked me for a second and then was on his way. That was it.  Nothing threatening. Nothing hurtful just a little annoying. 

So I will try again to go to the palace after a little break. Even though it's frustrating that I don't know who I can trust I want to practice being less frazzled in this type of situation. Seems like a good place.

And I did get at least one nice picture.

No comments: