Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Lost my luggage

This morning I left sydneys heading to the airport. Started in the underground to the train and then the airport. Once in paris went from the train back to the underground. The symmetry was quite lovely. However I had my luggage at the start of my journey and did not after my flight.

So I go to the counter and handle the situation with both grace and humor. Yes, lacy is still writing. I surprised even myself. I wasn't anxious or upset. I simply thought "YES!  I don't have to bring my luggage in public trans!". 

Navigating the way home was not quite as easy. Little was labeled at the train station (although it was in the airport) and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. It them took me nearly a half hour to figure out how to buy a ticket for the metro.  The metro was labeled well but not the billets. I felt the tears about to we'll but I decided it would work out. And it did. Then as I negotiated my way to the apartment I couldn't find the guy for 15  minutes (I'm in an airbnb).  Again I began to get frustrated but after I pushed away my anxiety I retraced my steps til I found him waiting for me outside.

This has been a growing experience for sure. Loosing my luggage, not getting to my destination or finding the guy to get in would have driven me crazy.  I would have been indignant, anxious, frustrated and angry. But I took it in stride. Or well close to it.

Got the apt by 2 and decided I should see the city. So I did something again out of character. I went for a walk, without a destination and not a great map. I did the most parisen thing I could think of  (buying a Nutella crepe) and after much walking found myself at the siene. 

A few things that I struggle with still however are more biological; if I need to eat, sit, drink, visit the bathroom, don't feel clean or get too hot I simply cannot enjoy myself. Most of those things can be fixed as I go but today, after a 4 or so km walk I found myself in the metro heading back.

But I saw the things I didn't know I wanted to see and could have a siesta in relative peace.  Also realized that my apartment which is close but not too close to montmartre is in a relatively good location!  With plenty of stuff right outside!

But it would be great to get my stuff back, and a fan.

No comments: