Thursday, July 9, 2015

La policia part 2

I got picked up again by the police this morning, around 1030. Which was good because this Moroccan guy was trying to tell me how women always look for men like their fathers but men do not need anyone.  Then he tried to exchange email addresses or phone numbers. He told me that men are stronger than women and that women have nothing to do but worry. Saved by the police. But I digress.

They brought me to the hospital. They cleaned out my stitches and cleaned all the other wounds and covered them.  This time it was women who were training to be nurses and some of them spoke English. It was refreshing to have women only becausw 98% of the people i interface with are men and the last time I was at the hospital it was all men.  Then I had to get my certificate filled out which was a back and forth procedure between two doctors and only one of the rooms had air conditioning.  The last doctor needed to check out my wounds and even though I was wimpering he continued to rip off each bandage the nurses had just covered. One of the policeman s sons was with us because he was also sick. They explained to me that I would have had to pay but with this certificate my insurance covers it.  But I have a copay and a deductible and if I would have left morocco yesterday would I have had to pay anything?  I'm so confused. They did have my passport when I first got to the hospital but I'm still unsure how costs will be taken care of.

They gave me a copy and we went to the police station where they had me sign a statement, in arabic, that explained what happened. I had him tell me but he knew only a little English. They seemed like really good guys but I unfortunately could have signed just about anything. They would not give me a copy, they said it was illegal but they will be sending the forms to the embassy.

So now apparently the embassy will take over. I've asked for about $600, the immediate cost of this accident (more days here, prepaid expenses that i will miss in granada etc. ). The policeman says this will be better because the insurance will give me more money but not for loke 6 months to a year. I could have settled "friendly" or out of court with the driver but this amount of money is more than the average Moroccan makes in a month. Plus I felt better having a record. But that being said I forgot to get a case number.

Before we came back I asked them if we could drive by the scene. And I got a picture. He told me that the garage will also be fixed by insurance. It was pretty extreme. But as I said last time. It saved my life.

No comments: