I have been in spain about 24 hours and all I have to ask myself is WHY HAVE I NEVER THOUGHT TO COME HERE BEFORE? Everyone wears dresses, everywhere. People talk loud, passionately and with their hands. It's full of history and culture. A favorite food is ham. It's hot but weirdly pleasant (although that could be in comparison to morocco). Oh and no moving vehicles have hit me, yet.
Julie beat me here and got settled into the apartment. It's small but 2 bedrooms and 4 floors up. It's in the lavapies neighborhood which seems fairly trendy in like the mission 10 years ago sort of way. After filling each other in on our trips thus far we went to a tapas place. Julie says it's only 20% as good as the food she has been eating in the smaller towns in spain.
Today we took the speed train (so cool) to toledo in a half an hour. Got suckered into an all in one pass which mostly restricted us with timing and places and we eventually stopped using it.
The bulk of our time was spent in the alcazar, the former fortress of toledo which houses a war museum(at a teacher I got in for free!). We both bought letter opener swords. Obvious necessities. We then tried to catch a tour across town at a synagogue turned church that looked like a mosque and a monastery built by Isabella(the only Spanish historical figure I have any real knowledge of). I checked out another synagogue and museum(but only in spanish) while julie did the right thing and stopped in AC for a glass of wine (at its height it was 111 degrees). We shopped and ate our way back to the train (we had paella!) It was good we finished a bit early because julie needed a siesta pretty badly. ("Im in spain and everyday I want a siesta and everyday I dont get one. Tomorrow I want a siesta.") And after getting rebandaged we are now getting ready to go see a flamenco show!!
It's been hard to walk and I've been slow which julie likes because she calls it her vacation speed. Its also hard to srand up and sit down. I'm constantly worried of someone hitting me accidentally or brushing up against me and am super jiterry around fast moving vehicles. But this is really the first day I have attempted a normal schedule. Tomorrow some museums, shopping and the royal palace! Oh and a siesta!

No comments:
Post a Comment