Ever since my incident this morning this has been my new operating principal. I braved the heat and the possible manipulations and went out again. The palace which I intended to find this morning I found in mere minutes. However it wasn't much, just a building with lots of rooms. I then ventured out to these tombs which was hard to find but I made it on my own! However it was similar to the palace.
Since there was no blinking blue dot on my paper map I decided to find the main square. I overheard an older woman and her daughter being redirected so I thought I'd follow. One by one men tried to give us directions and then pointing out other things, telling us where to go etc. I kept waving them of although one of them was totally right and I got them in the wrong direction. No matter. It's a walled city you can't truly get lost! What I've learned is learn the local name (jma al fina, is the square) and ask a women sitting down and point. They definitely won't follow you or try to hit you up for anything.
Finally found a familiar landmark yet to celebrate my good directional sense I took a different route, took a sandwich and a delicious fruit salad and spoke with some mexican women sitting at the table nearby. As always people are impressed when I've been to their country or their city especially when it's off the beaten path (adam, on the plane yesterday told me "you know you don't fit the stereotype of an American." I almost gave him a high five.).
On my way back to the hotel I ran into my chums from the plane and after a drink made plans to meet up this evening.
For now....a hammam and massage. No idea what I'm getting myself into.

No comments:
Post a Comment