Monday, July 13, 2015

The ramifications of continuing traveling

I made a choice after the accident to continue to travel. I took two extra days but carried on after. I had several incentives.

First, julie, my roommate/friend was waiting for me in madrid. Second, Julie, while she would have totally understood would have been miserable if I did not come. Third, Julie is a doctor. Fourth, Julie had data so we were able to use Google walking directions to get everywhere and she speaks Spanish. Quite a lot of safeguards and incentives.

But now I'm in barcelona. Got here a few hours ago.  I was on a plane and I needed to ask to switch my seat so I could sit alone (there were plenty of extras) so the child sharing my row didn't make any sudden moves. On the bus on the way out I spent 10 minutes in my head coming up with all the different ways and languages I could ask someone to get my bag("mi equipaje por favor, el muchila verde") so I didn't have to do it myself and get hit by someone else doing the same. I had to physically turn around on the moving pathways as someone raced by me because I didn't want my left thigh exposed to them. I have avoided public transport almost completely, which was easy with julie as taxis are her preference and it's someone to split with. But each taxi ride will increase the cost of my trip.

And now I'm in a hostel. 12 beds in one room. The airconditioning prevents the room from being hot but not much else. The wifi cut out in the middle of a really important call with a person who was trying to give me a really cool opportunity.  My leg feels stiff and like it's on fire a little. The mattress is foam as is the pillow and this is simply miserable. But the alternative is 100 more dollars each night(I'm currently paying 35) for airconditioning and a real bed and privacy. Even though in barcelona I chose a hostel for the social opportunities.

This accident has changed the way I must travel. I have not had a conversation with a stranger where this has not come up. I have to explain why I'm not as friendly (having dull pain at all times really does zap your energy), why I'm walking slow, why I'm clutching my leg, why I have a bandage on my elbow, why I need special accomodations. While I do love to be the center of attention I could do without this one.

But I carry on. Perhaps with a lot less money and with a new appreciation for normal functioning. I will have to adjust how I do this. But I will do this!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Go for it...this too shall pass! So proud of you!