Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy July 4th, from morocco!!

So there isn't really anyone to celebrate with so knowing me I'll make people celebrate upon my return.
Day 1 of a 3 day trip into the desert. Other then a few pit stops we stopped at Ait Ben haddon, which is a unesco world heritage site and many movies have been filmed there. We had lunch and then stopped and drove through many other Moroccan towns before arriving at the dades gorge.
I'm very surprised at how nice many of the towns we are driving through are. Marrakesh seemed to have a lot of poverty and a lot of buildings in disarray. However the cities and towns we drove through seem nice and well done. I would think the cities would be more built up?  Trying to determine some terminology, like what a kasbah is.  I seem to be learning more french than anything. I also have impressed a few Moroccans simply for knowing the Arabic words of the 5 pillars of islam (or even knowing that there are 5 pillars of Islam). 
Otherwise even though the shopkeepers are not trying to get me to shop all the time I still am getting wore down paying for every little thing (toilet paper, helping me with my luggage, a tour guide), especially when it's not agreed upon prior (except the toilet).  I also feel a bit old. Minus the older American couple I feel like the average age is closer to 25 with many 20 year Olds. Am I too old to be doing this still? 

No comments: